In 2014, under contract to SRTA, the IBI Group summarized the Redding Area Bus Authority’s (RABA) current use of technology and prospective new technologies--including costs and practical benefits.
Recommended projects are:
- Smart bus system – Integrates information from automated vehicle locators with onboard computers, audible service announcements, and message signs located inside the bus;
- Integrated electronic fare boxes – Accommodates pre-paid fare cards to simplify fare collection and provide accurate and detailed ridership data, including boarding locations, time of day, and fare type;
- Automatic passenger counters – Consistently and accurately records passenger boarding and alighting;
- Advanced traveler information systems – Provides real-time transit information via phone, web, mobile devices, and kiosks; and
- Traffic signal priority/preemption – Facilitates on-time arrivals and coordinated transfers.